ArtsNL Seeks an Indigenous Outreach Officer
Oct 7, 2022
The Newfoundland and Labrador Arts Council (ArtsNL) is a Crown Corporation of the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador. ArtsNL’s mission is to foster and promote the creation and enjoyment of the arts for the benefit of all Newfoundlanders and Labradorians.
The Indigenous Outreach Officer (IOO) is responsible for building relationships between ArtsNL and artists in the communities of Nunatukavut, Nunatsiavut, Innu Nation, Miawpukek First Nation, Qalipu First Nation, and Indigenous artists from other Nations residing in Newfoundland and Labrador. The IOO will work to promote and raise awareness of ArtsNL’s funding opportunities for Indigenous artists and provide support to artists wishing to apply.
- Work closely with an ArtsNL Indigenous Advisory Council (newly forming) to fully understand protocols for contacting communities and interacting respectfully with Elders in those communities.
- Seek advice and expertise from the Indigenous Advisory Council and Indigenous communities to create an Indigenous Arts Program.
- Meet regularly with the Indigenous Advisory Council for advice on how ArtsNL can best serve Indigenous artists.
- Travel to Indigenous communities on the island, as well as remote areas of Labrador, to promote awareness of all ArtsNL funding programs.
- Provide virtual and in-person, one-on-one support to Indigenous artists who want to apply for ArtsNL funding or who want to learn more about ArtsNL programs.
- Offer advice and assist Indigenous artists, accessing ArtsNL funding, to aid in building artistic practices.
- Provide support to ArtsNL staff and Council on their continued journey of learning and fully appreciating Indigenous culture and heritage.
- Assist ArtsNL’s Communications Officer with the development of a communications strategy, specifically for ongoing Indigenous engagement, and advise on the best platforms to promote ArtsNL’s programs to Indigenous artists—in addition to direct contact in those communities.
- Connect with provincial stakeholders, Atlantic colleagues and the Canada Council to help build a network of support among arts organizations throughout Newfoundland and Labrador for our Indigenous artists.
- Maintain and update a directory of active Indigenous artists throughout the province and, where possible, maintain a list of artists outside NL—especially in other Atlantic provinces—in coordination with Atlantic counterparts.
- Provide support to the administrative bodies responsible for coordinating and organizing the bi-annual Petapan Indigenous Arts Symposium on behalf of ArtsNL.
- Participate in meetings, initiatives, and joint projects involving Indigenous artists, partners, and stakeholders.
- Attend board and committee meetings on request and carry out other duties as assigned by the Executive Director of ArtsNL.
- Exceptional knowledge of Newfoundland and Labrador Indigenous culture and heritage
- Experience working within Indigenous organizations or communities
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Effective oral and written presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and in a confidential setting
- Sound judgement and adaptability
- Fluency in one of the province’s Indigenous languages is considered an asset
- Membership within an Indigenous community
- Bachelor’s degree in Indigenous Studies, Fine Arts, History, Archival Studies, Museum Studies, Education, or related discipline or experience.
- Minimum of three years’ experience in arts administration or a related administrative capacity
- Extensive knowledge of Newfoundland and Labrador Indigenous communities
- Experience with non-profit arts organizations
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
This position requires frequent travel within Newfoundland and Labrador.
Deadline for Submissions
October 28, 2022, by 11:59 p.m. NT
Within Newfoundland and Labrador—fixed location is negotiable. Arrangements will be discussed on an individual basis.
The Provincial Government Common Grid Salary Scale $60, 752 – $67, 868 (CG-37) will be offered, complete with healthcare benefits and a pension plan.
Please apply by emailing your cover letter and CV to: email@example.com
We thank all candidates for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.